A Motorcycle Mechanics Top 5 Favourite Tools!

Mitch’s Top 5 Favourite Tools!


All motorcycle technicians have their favourite tools! These can range from a trusty spanner passed down through generations of mechanics to a brand new plug-in diagnostic devise. These tools can be used every day or just on rare occasions but they all have a special place in the techs heart. Here at Honda Of Bournemouth our diagnostic technician Mitch gives us an insight into his top 5 favourite tools.

1. My number 1 tool has to be the torque wrench. I use it every day on most of the bikes that we service. Although we are a Honda motorcycle main dealer we can work on any make or model of bike and this tool proves to be invaluable. You have to get the torque settings right on so many crucial areas of the bike so a good quality torque wrench is a must have in this job. I couldn’t be without mine.

2. My second favourite tool is a simple pick. I have straight and angled picks and they are just brilliant for getting in spaces that most other tools couldn’t get to. I use my picks for removing tight clips and electrical connectors which would be impossible to do with fingers. It’s also handy for scraping dust and dirt out of inaccessible places .

3. The third tool on my list is my little luxury! It’s a gas powered soldering iron. You really don’t want extension leads trailing around your bench in a busy workshop as it can be hazardous with so many people and motorcycles occupying the same space. Having a gas powered soldering iron removes the worry of tripping over a workmate when he’s bringing you your morning coffee! I use my soldering iron when doing electrical work such as installing Genuine Honda Averto alarm systems.

4. Tool number 4 is my long handled number 2 Phillips screwdriver. It’s brilliant for getting into small tight spaces that I couldn’t get to with a standard screw driver. I use it most for getting down into air boxes but it comes in handy for any situation where a standard screw driver just can’t reach.

5. The last tool on my list is the T-handled socket wrench. This is another tool that I use every day and it’s brilliant. The T shaped handle gives more leverage when undoing those tight rusty bolts. When I’ve loosened off the bolt I can the spin the handle to get the bolt undone in the fastest time with least amount of effort. I’m sure most technicians would agree that this is an example of simple tool that makes the day to day basics of the job so much easier and quicker.

Well, that’s my top 5 toolbox favourites. Tools can be an expensive purchase and when they are also your livelihood you need to take good care of them. My advice would be: keep them clean, keep them sharp and always put the away in the same place!