Hopefully the sun will continue to shine in August and we can make the most of the amazing biking events taking place this month. Here is a list of our top 7 favourite events taking place this month in the UK.
1. World Superbikes, Silverstone – 2nd/3rd/4th August: The 9th round of the FIM World Superbike Championship takes place at Silverstone this weekend. Expect to see some brilliant racing with only 4 points separating the top 2 riders. Jonathan Rae, Tom Sykes and Chas Davies are all doing really well this year so get down to Silverstone to support the boys from the UK racing on their home turf.
2. British Superbikes, Oulton Park – 9th/10th/11th August: This championship is getting more exciting as the series progresses. Honda riders Alex Lowes and Ryuichi Kiyonari are both riding brilliantly being 2nd and 5th respectively in the championship standings. With both riders being in the top 6 they stand a good chance of being in the showdown towards the end of the season.
3. Classis Motorcycle Festival, Donington – 9th/10th/11th August: Donington Park is a fantastic venue to host this festival where you can see some amazing classic motorcycle racing including the Lansdowne Series. This series is the premier championship for classic GP bikes so there should be some exciting track action! There will also be club displays, trade stands and grass track racing. There is an opportunity to test ride a Norton 961 Commando. Visit the Norton Motorcycle website for more information and to pre-book.
4. Brit MX GP Festival, Matterley Basin, Winchester – 22nd/23rd/24th/25th August: If you prefer to watch racing involving a little more dirt then the MX GP Festival could be for you. The event takes place once a year and includes 11 classes full of world championship riders. There is also a funfair, beer tent and trade stands. Camping is available so you can stay and make a weekend of it!
5. TT Classic, Isle Of Man – 23th/24th/25th/26th August: The classic TT celebrates the history and heritage of the TT and motorcycle racing, offering four action packed days of motorcycleing nostalgia. Including the world's most prestigious classic motorcycle races, the Classic TT will boast the best road racers riding the most exotic and iconic motorcycles. The Classic TT also provides the centre piece of the new Isle Of Man Festival Of Motorcycling, alongside the Manx Grand Prix and the VMCC Rally.
6. Dawn To Dusk Enduro, Vale Of Neath, South Wales – 24th/25th August: This must be one of the toughest enduro events in the UK! There are four races including 6 hours, 10 hours, 12 hours and 24 hour races around the rugged mountainside course. Everyone is welcome from complete beginners to international teams so you may end up on the same track as one of your racing heroes! Off track there is a large marquee including a bar, trade stands and food stalls. Over 500 riders and up to 5000 spectators visit this event every year and it’s a great way to spend the weekend.
7. MotoGP, Silverstone – 30th/31st August and 1st Sept: The MotoGP comes back to the UK at the end of this month. There has been some exciting racing in the last couple of rounds with both Lorenzo and Pedrosa not being on top form and Marquez dominating the racing. There are still 2 more races to go before the GP comes to Silverstone (Indianapolis and Czech Republic) so who knows who will be leading the championship by the time they get to the UK!
These are some of the bigger family friendly events taking place in August. If you can recommend any bike related events taking place in September let us know and we may include it in our next Bike Event blog.