Alpinestars SP-1 Gloves - A Short Review

I bought my Alpinestars SP-1 gloves in May 2011 and I’m really pleased with them. I don’t wear them every day as I only ride my bike when it’s nice so I didn’t get out much last year! I have been out a lot more this year and the SP-1 gloves have been brilliant.
Alpinestars SP-1 Gloves in plain black

When I first got these gloves they were a bit stiff but the leather has become more supple and comfortable with age. They seem very robust. All of the stitching is still intact and the leather is soft and hasn’t split or cracked. The gloves do up with Velcro around the wrist and higher up on the cuff. This Velcro is still really strong and keeps the gloves fastened securely.

There is quite a lot of protection on the SP-1 gloves which is the main reason I bought them. The most obvious protection is the carbon fibre knuckles which help to protect me against impact and abrasions. There is also padding on the thumbs, fingers, top of my hand and wrist for extra protection.


Alpinestars SP-1 Gloves Black/White

These gloves are comfortable to wear in the summer as they do help to keep my hands cool. They have perforated cuffs, leather top panels and ventilated finger sidewalls. They are perfect for me because I only ride my bike on warm, sunny days so the ventilation is very welcome! I haven’t ridden in the rain while wearing these gloves but I guess that they might keep me dry in a light shower. Being made of leather I wouldn’t recommend you wear them in any heavy rain as they are not designed for this and you will get wet!

I think that the Alpinestars SP-1 gloves look really nice. Mine are black and white to match my ‘Blade but you can get them in other colours. I would think that plain black would be the most popular choice. These gloves were £99.95 when I bought them but I have noticed that you can now get them for £69.98 on-line at www.motorbikeplanet.co.uk.